Vasilis Nasiakos, the owner of the Guesthouse Saxonis Houses in Megalo Papigo, Zagori, is a certified mountain guide and with a forest management degree, and offers various trekking programs for the guests of the hotel.
If you are into extreme sports, try rafting, canyoning, trekking, horse riding, jeep – courses. If you are here for resting, endless walks in the picturesque village and tee in the little cafes with delicious sweets. Of course, visiting by foot or with the car, the cultural treasures of the area, such as old convents, churches and bridges.
Some of the treks that start at Megalo Papigo village (1050m):
- Papingo – Vikos gorge – Monodenri (7 hours): Trekking through one of the deepest gorges in the world, and through one of the coldest, cleanest and bluest rivers of Europe
- Papingo – Voidomatis Springs – Vikos village (3 hours): From Papingo down to the springs of Voidomatis in the gorge, and up to Vikos village, on the other side of the gorge
- Papingo – Ano Klidonia (2 hours): From Papingo to the deserted, spooky village of Ano Klidonia
- Mikro Papingo – Drakolimni (4 hours): To the famous “dragonlake”, an alpine lake with the little dragons (Triturus alpestris)
- Mikro Papingo – Gamila Peak: (5.5 hours): To one of the highest peaks of the mountain with breathtaking view (2.497m)
- Mikro Papingo – Refuge (3 hours): A pleasant course through the alpine zone and up to the refuge of the area with the breathtaking view of the other side of the mountainsThere are plenty of other magnificent treks, some of which have a starting and finishing point other than Papingo. The owners of the hotel would be very glad to guide you through them or take you to or from the starting and finishing points.